Saturday, August 1, 2015

LGBT Life in Albania

Letting the PRIDE flag fly at Tirana Pride 2015

When I tell people that I am working on LGBT issues while serving in Peace Corps in Albania, they often react with shock. Here are the most common questions I get:

"Is that possible?"
"Is that safe?"
"Aren't you afraid?"
"I heard that Albania is an Islamic country. Doesn't that make it dangerous?"



Well, to answer each question, here goes:

Is that possible?

A fellow PCV helps me show off my PRIDE at the 2015 march

It's entirely possible. From what I have seen here, the beginnings of a civil rights movement are well underway, and progress is moving towards making Albania a safer place for LGBT people to live. (Insert caveats galore) Many other Peace Corps volunteers are LGBT allies and have really shown a lot of support for LGBT efforts here.

Is that safe?

Xheni & Kristi, two amazing civil rights leaders in Albania (at 2014 Gay Ride)
Well, as safe as this kind of work can be! Many Albanians who work in the field in Albania are not necessarily 'out' in their home communities. Although they may be associated with certain well-known LGBT people, there doesn't appear to be a lot of outright hostility towards them from the general community. I can only speak to what I've heard, seen, and perceived while serving out here for the last 17 months. The first gay bicycle ride in the capital city of Tirana was seen with explosives. This did not deter the brave men and women who continued to ride in the face of hatred and injustice several years ago. Since then it seems that the violence lessens with each coming year. This year the so-called 'gay ride' and pride march saw minimal hostility (except for a rogue egg thrown). So is it safe? Seemingly more so than may be expected...


Aren't you afraid?

Holding the PRIDE Flag in the pouring rain (Tirana Pride 2014)
No. I live for this kind of work. I have so many privileges as an American citizen. I feel it my duty to help where it is needed. Having grown up in San Francisco, I have heard about the devastation of the AIDS crisis and have seen the giant PRIDE parades each year celebrating the LGBT pride. It was always very encouraging and inspiring to think that only 40 years earlier, these sorts of parades would be illegal and participants would be subjected to violence. I always think back to those people who marched when the parades did not feature scantily-clad boys dancing on a float with techno music blaring in the background. In those days it didn't mean hundreds of thousands of folks drinking over-priced beer, getting various degrees of sunburn, and purchasing rainbow chotchkies galore. Yeah it's fun. It's really fun. But where would be were those brave activists, together with their families, friends and allies marching together in the early days? LGBT people would still be hiding in bars, trying to avoid persecution from society and even the police. So when I see amazing women and men out here in Albania putting themselves out there and speaking up for the LGBT community, I feel an incredible sense of pride to march with them. If someone throws something at me, I will march that much prouder. Because progress is happening here and no one can stop it. If I fall, 10 people will take my place.


"I heard that Albania is an Islamic country. Doesn't that make it dangerous?"

Marching down the streets of Tirana at Pride 2014
Religious practices were outlawed in Albania in 1967, and later allowed again. It seems that the tension and conflict often associated with religion has somewhat dissolved. Many Albanians in fact pride themselves on their religious tolerance. Albania was even once called the 'first Atheist nation'. Politicians don't hold religious platforms like they do in the US. (Read: Hardliners Nightmare - Newsweek) As Albania is now an European Union applicant, they must ensure that certain human rights reforms and protections are in place (and enforced). This has encouraged the Albanian government to push for LGBT reforms faster than otherwise would be the case. Although laws have been written to protect LGBT people from discrimination, there is a lot to be done to ensure that this is actually the case, and that LGBT citizens gain the protections promised to them from their government. Luckily, there are community activists at a few passionate NGOs in Albania who are holding the policy-makers accountable, and advocate on behalf of LGBT citizens. I am so damn proud to call these folks my coworkers (and my friends). :-)

Note: There is a lot more information to share about LGBT efforts in Albania. This includes the work of numerous NGOs, individuals, groups and community leaders. They have done so much, that it is quite hard to summarize in such a short post. This is meant to be a first post on the topic - a quick peek into my work with LGBT issues in Peace Corps. I look forward to highlighting their work in subsequent posts. Please let me know if you have any specific questions - comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment