Saturday, August 15, 2015

A Question of Safety


On the question of whether LGBT work in Albania is safe for a Peace Corps Volunteer...

I dare say that no one quite knows... and that's what makes people worry. It makes Peace Corps staff and volunteers worry, it makes my friends and family worry, and yes, it even makes me worry (at times). Sure there are plenty of examples of activism meeting hostility - outside and inside Albanian borders. What does that mean? Does it mean that this type of work should stop? Does it meant that the Albanian people no longer need support from outside NGO's and governmental organizations alike? Does it meant that we should all assume the absolute worst and plan as if that is truth? Well, no... It certainly doesn't mean any of that.

It should mean that we tread lightly at times, and with more confidence at others. We should always tread. Goal#1 of Peace Corps - Provide technical assistance where needed. We as volunteers have an invisible pull string that can used to evacuate us anytime from anywhere when we are in trouble. Not so for the host country nationals we work with. I feel that the onus is on us to provide the crucial assistance needed to keep things moving along. As I keep reiterating, there is so much going on with LGBT rights in Albania already, we simply must support these efforts when we can.

I admit that it can be an arduous task for any supervisor to sign off on things that could be stigmatized. For those of you who know me, and my line of work - a lot of what I do can be seen as controversial in conservative circles - LGBT Work, MSM outreach, and HIV. Yet is it? I don't think anyone really knows what the reaction is going to be in this time, place and circumstance. It is going to be met with hostility? Or it is already yesterday's news?

Oh btw, to get the inside scoop, be sure to check out this amazing website of my friend (a journalist/activist here in Albania) - http://historia-ime.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment