Saturday, November 22, 2014

TOP TEN Discoveries as a Peace Corps Volunteer



Very, very important discoveries I’ve made as a Peace Corps Volunteer:
Today is "blocky veggie day"
  1. Chopping veggies in different ways makes it seem like I’m actually eating something different every day…Look it up! It's like scientific and stuff.
  2. My Shqip (Albanian) seems to be getting better but my English seems to be getting worse-r. :-P
  3. Little acts of kindness among volunteers go a long way. :-)
  4. When in doubt, laugh… and laugh LOUDLY! Sure people may think “oh great, the American has gone crazy” but that’s okay, crazy and happy beats grumpy and sane any day.  (at least that's what the voices in my head say...)
  5. Peanuts are good - so very good. Nom nom nom nom…
  6. Entertaining visitors is fun! – be they Ex-Pats, other Peace Corps Volunteers, family, friends, or travelers passing through. I’m like “Don’t leaaaaave!” (*tear*)
  7. Using Facebook is like handling a double-edged sword. Motivation is great, but it can get lonely living abroad. Comparing one’s self to the best of others is dangerous (especially when you are not feeling your best.) Moderation is key. Having said that, it is also very important to support and cheer others on. (see item #3)
    Hedwig and Albania, together at last!
  8. Sometimes you have to pat yourself on the back. Right? A lot of Peace Corps work goes on behind the scenes, and may not be acknowledged. With all that goes on, sometimes you have to be your own cheerleader! You don’t necessarily need an outfit, although it might help! :-D Mine would have epaulettes. hehehe
  9. Although I joined Peace Corps expecting to get away from technology, internet, constant email, and smartphones, I have found myself in a country with ample wifi and smartphones galore. Lol I am grateful though, as these luxuries allow me to stay in contact with loved ones, share my experience with people back home, and access information to better serve in my community. Thus I can’t complain. Well, I could, but I won’t… too often. :-P
  10. Every long bus ride is more fun with a musical accompaniment. My current favorites are: Hedwig & the Angry Inch, Chess, and Mamma Mia. It makes the sporadic vomiting, "interesting" smells and general overcrowdedness seem downright comical!
    Me doing a "I want a puppy" face... either that or I'm just bloated.


Mirupafshim,

-Jon

PS: If you enjoy these posts, please do share this blog link. Thanks! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment