Wednesday, November 26, 2014

TOP 5(ish) PACKING ITEMS FOR PEACE CORPS



Ok, so there is a weight limit on baggage. Did you know that? Well I didn't until I arrived at the airport. That being said, I definitely knew that the amount of stuff I could bring to Albania would be limited to how much I could physically transport all at once. After all, I have to get it there by myself first, right?? That being said, I had to decide on what to bring and what to leave behind. Here is a list of 5(ish) things (okay 6) that I am glad made the cut. :-)

5. INDEX CARDS– Yes, basic index cards. For the life of me, I cannot seem to find ANY in Albania. I’m kinda old-school when it comes to studying language, and really like to have actual paper flash-cards made to learn new vocab. I’m trying to go digital and switch to Anki, but I am so glad I had these ready when I arrived in country. 



4. RECHARGEABLE MINI-SPEAKER - $14 from Target – This little popup device comes in handy quite often. Having a slow day in the classroom? Why not start a circle dance? (heck, it’s Albania, you should ALWAYS find a way to incorporate circle dancing into your lesson plans!)  lol. What’s even cooler is that you can link these up to increase the volume, and if you twist them, they have a neat little “bass” function. Rechargeable through any USB port!



3. TOYS, TOYS, TOYS! – So back home I had a drawer, and in this drawer I had, well, a bunch of STUFF – knick-knacks, key-chains, thingy’s from conferences (you know, like pens, notepads, chotchkies), wristbands, and other souvenirs that would have never make their way out of said drawer. Well, why let these trinkets die a quiet death? Your baubles can bring a little joy to a kid out here in Albania. It may be an additional burden to carry, but well worth it once you see them smile. :-D (oh, and after returning home, we’ll have less “stuff” to unpack! Hehe (aww yeah!)

Me with a Halloween mask re-purposed for the "Penguin Dance"


2. RECHARGEABLE USB BATTERY - $20 from Radio Shack, this little sucker comes in handy during every long furgon ride. Works with any USB device and can be re-charged through a laptop or any other USB port. Love this thing!



1b. SNOW BOOTS – As a San Francisco native, I’m not used to actual “Seasons.” I am so glad to have these to protect my uber-sensitive California feet. I got my LOWA’s at REI on clearance for around $80. Thanks you Elliott and Sid your help in picking these out! 

 

1a. SLEEPING PAD - Thermarest "Scout" - A gift from my folks (thank you folks!), this has been so handy as most of the buildings in Albania are straight up concrete. When the time comes to crash on someone's floor, you will certainly be glad to have one of these. Oh, it's also great for yoga, meditation or stretching! Another MUST BRING. :-)


2 comments:

  1. We Offer ATT BellSouth Email Support Contact Help Number +1-805438-2911 for fix BellSouth Emails, Server like Login, Sign in, Password Recovery, Forget Password etc. contact
    BellSouth.net Email Help Number

    BellSouth.net Email Contact Number

    ReplyDelete
  2. We Provide SBCglobal Email Customer Support Number +1-805-438-2911 for fix att sbcglobal.net login, email errors like email login, setting, forget password recovery, yahoo, outlook setup, att, iphone, mac etc.
    SBCglobal Email Contact Number
    SBCglobal Email Contact Number

    ReplyDelete