Thursday, May 19, 2016

Saying Goodbye To A Village, A Country and An Extended Family

So this is goodbye. Albanians don't use the expression "Lamtumire" (farewell) very often as I'm told (except after someone dies or if one has a harsh break up with a lover). As I feel in my hart that I will return here one day, I am inclined to comply and simply use Mirupafshim (means "goodbye" but also literally means "may we see each other well again").

My goodbye to my counterpart took the form of a farewell lunch at our favorite cafe hangout near our work. Grilled chicken, salce kosi and potatoes, salad, grilled peppers and  various "fancy drinks." I thanked him for hosting me at his work for the last two years, for putting in such hard work to complete our projects, and for always being flexible with me to allow for some of my various secondary projects. I must say we made a great team. We visited some of the most remote village areas together with our Breast Cancer Outreach Project, took turns speaking in English and Shqip (Albanian Language) every morning over coffee, co-taught more health lessons than I can remember, and discussed various books, American Culture and even philosophy. I would often joke with him that he's my favorite person to argue with, because he will take the time to understand and follow the discussion until the end. I appreciated that as well. We both had our upbeat days and our rather challenging days. We got through them together (usually with long chats and lots of coffee). Yesterday I expressed my appreciation for his efforts and he did as well. As we concluded our work together, we were fortunate to have a new volunteer join him for the next two years.

For a great blog post and perspective on this transition time from a fellow Peace Corps Volunteer visit - http://www.livingthehyphen.com/2016/02/closing-service-and-moving-on.html

No comments:

Post a Comment