Thursday, June 2, 2016

Back To The Land Of "E Pluribus Unum"

I returned to the US about a week ago and have been experiencing what people refer to as 'culture shock.' At first I didn't feel it... as I was in shock. I have since been living with my parents in our San Francisco home. As I prepare myself for my new job in New Jersey, I am taking this time to reflect, to relax, and to get re-adjusted to life in America.

Here are some things I've noticed so far since I've returned:

1. I seem to be moving slower than other people around me. Literally. Maybe it's that whole avash, avash mentality I've been acclimating to.

2. I find it hard to get up the motivation to coordinate any sort of get-together. With living in a small town for a while, I really got used to the whole "walk around and see everybody" routine. That simply doesn't fly here in San Francisco. (well, not for someone who hasn't lived here for more than 7 years anyway...) Nevertheless I have the resolve to leave the house every day and so social things as much as possible.

3. America is fun if you have the money. With so many stores, with sales and an endless supply of goods from all over the world, one could easily spend their life savings in a shopping spree if they weren't careful.

4. Things are expensive! From coffee to salads, everything I buy seems 10x what I'd pay in Albania.

5. A shocking (not so shocking) return to the City By The Bay:
There seem to be a lot more homeless people in San Francisco these days as well as many untreated residents with untreated mental health and/or substance abuse disorders. I grew up in San Francisco, and have lived here for more than 25 years. Never before have I seen so many people living on the streets. Just going down to Powell street station, one can easily see a row of people sleeping right on the floor of the main corridor. Most are just sleeping and staying warm, others clearly getting drunk, others with all their possessions spread out (possibly to sell, I'd imagine). I'm not sure what has happened in this city since I last lived here, but something seems shockingly different.

No comments:

Post a Comment