Thursday, October 16, 2014

Albanian Youth: Life After High School


Me and my friend/barber Lidio
From what I gather of life here in Albania, youth have a different path upon graduation. Living at home after one turns 18 is not uncommon by any means. The young adult son or daughter stays with the parents in the home until married. Even then, sometimes there is a space (another separate floor or apartment) in the family home already set aside for the newly-married couple to start their family. I can see how this would have its advantages!

In America, we are, well, let's say "encouraged" to move out when we graduate from high school, and are expected to start living our lives more independently from our parents and siblings. We are told to get a job, go to school, find a place to live, and learn about the world. Of course, some American youth choose to go to college while others go right to work - some do both. Some get an apartment with friends while others live in college dormitories at the university of their choosing. In my case, I moved out of the house after I turned 18 and graduated from high school. I got an apartment, attended college, and worked part-time. I was living about an hour away from my parents (not too far I'd say), but I had begun my journey into independence. 

College now seems to be the goal of many graduated Albanian youth. Those who can, attend college. For those who live relatively close to school, commuting to school by public transit seems fairly common. If they live far away, they might find an apartment with friends or stay in a dorm room (Note: I have heard that dorm rooms are considered quite undesirable living quarters for the aspiring Albanian youth.)
The notorious "Cune" (pronounced "Chune") haircut, a popular style for boys in Albania

Jobs are said to be fairly hard to come by in Albania, thus living independently while attending school can be too expensive for many folks. Living at home means the student saves money on rent and food. Not a bad gig!

These are merely observations from where I live (central/east Albania). Obviously things may be different in other areas of the country.

When I told an Albanian friend about being "encouraged" to leave the house after graduation from high school, they looked at me shocked and said "They kick you out!?" to which I cheerfully replied, "Yes, I suppose so.. but its not so bad!" LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment