Friday, January 29, 2016

Operation: Find me a job


Me (second on the left) with my sitemates and Ambassador to Albania Donald Lu. I recently had the chance to coordinate his visit to our town of Librazhd.
As I mentioned in previous posts, I had put in a request to extend my service in Albania for another year through an exciting national HIV Prevention project focusing on the MSM community. Unfortunately, I was just informed that this will not be possible after a recent decision made by our new Country Director. It hit me particularly hard, as I had been working so hard over the last several months to build connections, develop project ideas and even prepare comprehensive plans together with Peace Corps staff for this project.  My placement is not in the capital, so it has really been a challenge to develop these relationships. I really wanted to move forward with these plans, but such is life. I may not like it, but I must accept it. Bummer.

This changes things a bit... as now I have to find a job and health insurance asap. My extension date would have allowed me time to stay here through the summer, but now I am most likely staying until May at the latest.

Whenever I have a large task ahead of me and I am not exactly sure how to proceed, I develop a document titled "Operation:" and fill in the task. For example, for this situation I have developed the "Operation: Find Jon a Job" plan. A step-by-step method to, well, find me a job. I have met so many amazing people here in Albania and through my service. I plan to reach out and see if anyone might have a position that might take advantage of my experience. I have over 18 years of experience working with NGOs (Admin, Fund Development, Case Management & Outreach) so hopefully that's worth something to someone. :-) I'm really not sure who's reading this right now, but if you have a lead or opportunity in your office (something related with LGBT, HIV, or other NGO Admin) your referral would be most appreciated.

Faleminderit!

Jon
jonbreen1@gmail.com
resume available

No comments:

Post a Comment